Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userid128223
Creator
Creator

backup individual app report

Hi Everyone. 

I am new to Nprinting 19. we migrated from 16 to 19. In 16 we would backup NSQ & Template in order to preserve last working copy in case of app or template corruption. 

1. How do you replicate similar backup in 19. How can you make sure you have last good backup in case you need to do recovery and how do you restore. 
  2. Another question is App name in the backend on C drive is GUID, how do you match app name to GUID. 
Labels (2)
5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, answering below:

How do you replicate similar backup in 19. How can you make sure you have last good backup in case you need to do recovery and how do you restore. 

Start with studying https://help.qlik.com

NPrinting 16 and 19 are different products and approaches used are also different. We do not backup files from Program Data or Program files folders in NPrinting 17+!!!

In NPrinting 19 to ensure you have a working copy of environment you need to backup repository DB using command:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2020/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Backing-up-Qli...

If you want to retain a backup/copy of the report you simply can use "Export" option from report section. This will only export a report template (with basic information like filters used, app and connection used). https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2020/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/Import-exp...

Another question is App name in the backend on C drive is GUID, how do you match app name to GUID. 

I dont know what are you trying to do with it - definitely it will not work as a backup... but...

the simple answer is that guid used as a folder is the same as url of the app when you browse apps in NPrinting 19 admin console and it is also an equivalent of the id stored in postgres repository database which represents app

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
userid128223
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Lech

When you backup repository, this is in case you want to completely restore your NPrinting environment (all apps, connections, reports, task) to prior working state?  // is that the reason you do it?  

To backup individual report: so you can recreate app/connection and if you have an exported copy of previously generated report you can then import to that app/connection and recreate it?  // is the understanding correct.

Is there a community dashboard that reads NPrintign 17-19 log files and gives you detail picture of app/tasks etc? 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

When you backup repository, this is in case you want to completely restore your NPrinting environment (all apps, connections, reports, task) to prior working state?  // is that the reason you do it?  

answer: Correct, this is also a good practice in my opinion. In all my environments I setup this as a scheduled daily task so each day i get a snapshot of repository.

To backup individual report: so you can recreate app/connection and if you have an exported copy of previously generated report you can then import to that app/connection and recreate it?  // is the understanding correct.

answer: Correct, however app and connection has to exist or needs to be created manually beforehand

Is there a community dashboard that reads NPrintign 17-19 log files and gives you detail picture of app/tasks etc? 

answer: no - logs will not give you this information, there is app which reads repository DB and/or uses API to have high level overview of a schedule. I am not sure what information about apps/tasks you are looking for? Are you interested in schedules, triggers or maybe recipients/destinations or maybe historical executions: success/failures etc.. all those are different aspects and are very different from reporting point of view.

link to app i mentioned: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Documents/NPrinting-Schedule-Monitor-NP17-and-Failed-Ta...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
userid128223
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks again for detailed answer. very helpful.

Connecting to repository. I know it is not advice and there is risk. However can we make a copy of repository and bring it our local laptop and install postgresSql driver and connect via QlikView? is that good approach to see one time snapshot. 

Taking copy of postgresSql repository. Is it ok if you do it without stopping the service? whats the risk. In our environment as soon as services are stopped, monitoring alerts gets triggered and unnecessary alarms goes off. I wanted to  understand if you can just copy the database file without stopping service. 

App you mentioned in your post, can I please get a copy of it? QVW? 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Taking backup of NPrinting repository is supported by Qlik only with services stopped. 

This does not mean it will not work if you insist taking backup of repository when services are running, but such procedure is not supported by Qlik, hence we dont know what are the risks...It has not been tested and we cannot guarantee that your repository will not get corrupted!

I dont think you can just copy files - repository is postgress data base hosted on NPrinting server... so you need to use pg_dump to do backup.. I also dont think it is a db file (it is whole set of files).I guess you should check it in postgresql documentation (not qlik documentation) - http://postgresql.org

Regarding app - I am not an owner of it and I dont have QlikView version. I guess you can rewrite it by yourself to QlikView if you really need it.

cheers