Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Stacked Bar Chart Totals Display

Hello, I have probably a very simple question:

I have a stacked  bar chart, that shows three different parts that constitute our revenue.

I can display numbers for each individual part, however the requirement is to display the total revenue on top of each bar.

How do I accomplish that?

Here is an example - I can put labels with values on each individual segment, but can't find a way to put numbers for the whole thing.

Example Chart.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

If One, Pending and Run are separate expressions, one way is to add a new expression for the total, as a symbol, set to invisible, with values on data points checkmarked.  The symbol won't display, but the value will, giving you the grand total for the segments in the bar, displayed on top of the bar.  This doesn't work in version 9 SR4 due to a bug, in case that's the version you're on.

If One, Pending and Run are dimension values, I do not know of any way to get the total to display on top (other than converting them to expressions).  Hopefully someone else does (at which point I can update my attached example).

View solution in original post

8 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

If One, Pending and Run are separate expressions, one way is to add a new expression for the total, as a symbol, set to invisible, with values on data points checkmarked.  The symbol won't display, but the value will, giving you the grand total for the segments in the bar, displayed on top of the bar.  This doesn't work in version 9 SR4 due to a bug, in case that's the version you're on.

If One, Pending and Run are dimension values, I do not know of any way to get the total to display on top (other than converting them to expressions).  Hopefully someone else does (at which point I can update my attached example).

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

what if its a count? i mean instead of the revenue which are stacked what if its a count of items? how will you total it?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Nothing in my example indicates that it's revenue. It could be, or it could be a count, or it could be meters, or anything. Why would QlikView care what it's summing up? Perhaps I'm not understanding the question.

Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

I have a similar problem and followed your suggestion to add an invisible expression. It works, but I have to use a bar chart instead of a combo chart as I'm using two dimensions.

Problem is now, that the gap between each bar and the total value on top is quiet big, Additionally, the scale has a larger max value (150 currently, 80 before I added the invisible expression). So the whole diagram is much smaller and the numbers of the smaller segments disappear.

Is there a way to improve that a bit? I added before / after screenshots to make it more clear, hopefully.

screen_barchart_before.jpg

screen_barchart_after.jpg

Thanks

Jens

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jens,

I'm running into the same problem you described.  Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks,

Derek

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I made a chart like this recently. My solution was a complete hack - I put one chart behind the other, one with the stacked bars, one without that dimension, and set the axis max and min manually in both charts to be exactly the same, put one on top of the other, and made the top one transparent, so that the numbers from the bottom chart show at the top of the bars.

But the users found it too busy. I redesigned it with one of my dimensions as a trellis. The bars were then no longer stacked, and only needed to show a single value. It takes a lot more space, of course.

Shisho_Karsenty
Contributor III
Contributor III

Chart properties --> Presentation --> mark: "Plot values inside segments" + "Still Show Total on Top"