Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Chart based Local Variable - To pass as a parameter to Variables

SimonBall
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Chart based Local Variable - To pass as a parameter to Variables

I've recently been asked to build a page where the user can select one of their 8 KPI's and see the KPI chart split 6 times by country.  I wasn't able to use a trellis because each chart had a complex expression for colouring the bar charts based on targets loaded from a spreadsheet and written into variables.

I used a variable as a Calculated dimension to show only rows for that country in the chart e.g. 

=$(vDimCountryTimeSpan(1))

The variable code is:

if($(=$(vCountryDIM_Picker($1))),$(vTimeSpanMonthYear),Null())

I was then able to get the charts working correctly, and all I had to do was copy and paste the chart and edit the dimension parameter  from 1-6.

However, in setting up the background colour for KPI objects, or the colours for the bar charts and lines from targets, and several other places depending on the type of charts, I had to make several edits to update the number for that charts country.

My idea request is for Qlik to create a new Chart local variable e.g.vChartLocalVar, as a single place to store a value, and then refer to that $(vChartLocalVar) in expressions within the chart.  

IS this possible and of use to anyone else?

3 Comments
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you all for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea by commenting and liking.

Note the Trellis container has an advanced mode, to support more complex expressions.

Thanks, 
Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived