Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
This page is no longer in use. To suggest an idea, please visit Browse and Suggest.

Qlik Compose - Add Data Mart Global Settings

DWH4Fun
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Compose - Add Data Mart Global Settings

Qlik Compose – Add Data Mart Global Settings

Problem: There are two problems with data mart settings being at the data mart level only

• Creating a new data mart begins with its setting to the default even if the settings have been changed in an existing data mart.  This causes inconsistency between marts when that is not the desired intention.
  • There is way a user can compare settings across data marts to be aware of any unintended differences.

Example:

I created one data mart, which I changed the “Create tables in…” settings.  I placed the data mart tables into its own database.

rrd_0-1590522144795.png

Two weeks later, I created a second data mart and forgot to change the settings.  I was confused why my fact and dimension tables where not in the same data mart database as above.  After realizing my mistake I had to drop the physical tables, adjust settings, re-generate, and re-run.

rrd_1-1590522144814.png

Proposed Solution:

A better solution is to offer a global data mart settings (pic below), which is used as the default for all data marts.  Users can still override each individual data mart’s settings if needed. In addition, there needs to be a few key placed alerts for user to be aware of differences.

Key UX points:

• The Global Settings should default to the same default mart settings as exists today.
  • When changing the first data mart’s settings, allow the user to apply the settings to the following:
    1. Change Global Settings to these settings?
  • When changing an existing data mart’s settings, allow the user to apply the settings to the following:
    1. Change Global Settings to these settings?
    2. Change all Data Mart settings to these setting?
      (This is only shown when 2 or more data marts exist)
  • Allow a user to see settings across all marts in a grid and to
    1. Identify what is a difference
    2. Mark changes in the grid without having to go into each mart to make the change
    3. Option to sync all marts to the Global Settings

rrd_2-1590522144875.png

3 Comments
Tzachi_Nissim
Employee
Employee

Hi @DWH4Fun ,

Thank you for your input!

Question - why not use the settings in the DWH definition ("PMA_DW in your case") for data mart default database and schemas? Doesn't that meet your requirement for a global default? 

Regards,

Tzachi

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
DWH4Fun
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @Tzachi_Nissim 

I believe that would be fine in use cases where the data mart database and schema can be the same as the data warehouse.  Our implementation segregates them into their own DBs.  In addition for schemas, we are thinking about DBO for warehouse tables and for custom (post load ETL) tables in the mart, but a separate schema for client / end user consumable marts.  The design will be the same across all marts hence, a mart global settings is preferred in the case. 

Thx!

TimGarrod
Employee
Employee

This explicit feature is not planned for Qlik Compose.   

However, similar behavior can be accommodated by using the environment variables feature where you can configure via json file data mart schema etc. settings as part of deployment - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/compose/May2022/Content/ComposeDWDL/Main/DW/Projects/Variables_templates...

Status changed to: Closed - Archived