A couple of years ago I wrote a blog on customizing straight tables in QlikView explaining how you can add an ad-hoc report to your QlikView app. So, I thought I would share how you can now create a custom report in Qlik Sense using the Climber Custom Report extension. The Climber Custom Report is an extension that can be added to your Qlik Sense app to give users the ability to create their own ad-hoc reports. In this blog, I will show you how easy it is to add a custom report to your app using Qlik Sense Desktop.
- The first step is to download the Climber Custom Report extension from Qlik Branch, unzip it and put it in your Extensions folder (C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Extensions).
- In your Qlik Sense app, create a table with all the possible dimensions and measures a user may want to see in a report and then add the table to master items. The table may look something like this:
- Add the Climber Custom Report extension to a sheet in your app and then you are ready to create a report.
- In the Visualizations drop down, select the report you just created. All tables that are in your visualization master items will be listed in the drop down. Once the table is selected, the dimension and measure lists will be populated with the dimensions and measures that are used in the table as seen below.
- Select the dimensions and measures you would like to add to your report by clicking on them. Your report will look something like the image below after you make some selections. The dimensions are blue and the measures are orange.
- From the custom report bar above the chart, you can remove a dimension or measure by clicking the x and you can change the order of the columns by dragging and dropping the dimensions and measures into the order you would like them to appear in the report.
And that is it - it is that simple to add a custom report to your Qlik Sense app. With Qlik Sense self-service, a user can create a report by dragging and dropping dimensions and measures into a table but what I like about the Climber Custom Report extension is it makes everything available to the user with a clean, professional and organized look. Download it now and test it out for yourself. See the extension in action in the Situational Awareness demo. Note - the Climber Custom Report extension works in Qlik Sense 3.0 and higher and, like all extensions, are not supported by Qlik.