Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding Dynamic Dimension using local variable in a macro

Hi All,

I have a requirement to automate the process of exporting the charts to PPT and excel.

For the same, I have written a macro, which will directly take all the inputs to create a chart from a config file and create the charts on the fly.

I am facing a problem while adding dimensions and Expressions to the chart.

Could you please help me by letting me know whether there is a possibility to add the dimensions using a variable.

Please note that the variable is not defined in Qlikview, rather it is local to the macro script.

Example:

set chart = ActiveDocument.Activesheet.CreateStraightTable

chart.AddDimension "Product"

chart.AddExpression "sum(Amount)"

The above works fine, but if I want the dimensions and Expressions to be stored in a variable, it is causing issue.

Dim testDimension,testExpression

set testDimension="Product" '(In the actual solution these will be fetched from the config file on the fly)

set testExpression= "sum(Amount)"

set chart = ActiveDocument.Activesheet.CreateStraightTable

chart.AddDimension testDimension

chart.AddExpression testExpression

Please let me know a way to read the variables as Dimensions and Expressions.

Thanks in advance!

Nidhi

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

These dimensions/expressions variables contain only strings and are no objects and should be therefore not declared with "set". I'm not sure if Qlik needs here the double-quotes arounds the variable but you could try it if it's not working so far with:

chart.AddDimension chr(34) & testDimension & chr(34)

- Macus