Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronnayan
Creator III
Creator III

Detecting certain fields

Hi Guys,

Can Qlik detect a certain user field the same way it detects dates?

A table, which contains all Sales applications us contains many links to a single table of users.

Is their a way of importing the users table once, but referencing it from the finance application table many times.

Would work in the same way as Dates?

I’d like any table brought into Qlik to be scanned for User fields (we could identify user fields in fact tables with a specific prefix/suffix), and automatically linked to a user “function”, which in turn provides additional context around the user (e.g. Full Name) in the same way that a date is given additional context such as (Year-Month, YearsAgo etc.).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I think no. Qlik has no inbuilt feature to recognize the pattern of fieldvalues except by dates, times and money how they are defined with the default-variables which are displayed at the beginning of the script in tab Main (unless you removed them there).

You could of course build own logics for it, for example with the mentioned prefix/suffix-flagging of the fieldnames. A detecting on the fieldvalue-pattern will rather not be working because too many fields may contain similar pattern.

What in my opinion don't worked respectively won't be sensible in any way is "... automatically linked to a user “function”, which in turn provides additional context around the user (e.g. Full Name) ...". I think each attempt in this direction will add an extra complexity by no added value - rather the opposite will happens and creating problems with sythetic keys, circular loops and performance issues and maybe some more.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
aaronnayan
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Can anyone advise?

marcus_sommer

I think no. Qlik has no inbuilt feature to recognize the pattern of fieldvalues except by dates, times and money how they are defined with the default-variables which are displayed at the beginning of the script in tab Main (unless you removed them there).

You could of course build own logics for it, for example with the mentioned prefix/suffix-flagging of the fieldnames. A detecting on the fieldvalue-pattern will rather not be working because too many fields may contain similar pattern.

What in my opinion don't worked respectively won't be sensible in any way is "... automatically linked to a user “function”, which in turn provides additional context around the user (e.g. Full Name) ...". I think each attempt in this direction will add an extra complexity by no added value - rather the opposite will happens and creating problems with sythetic keys, circular loops and performance issues and maybe some more.

- Marcus