cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielact
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Help filling in the blanks for a standard deviation

I need to get a standard deviation for some data. Let's say I have 100 years worth of data for my business, and I'm taking a standard deviation of it. When I have no filters selected, it works fine. But let's say I filtered it to where only 70 years have applicable data. My deviation will then only count 70 years. I actually want to count the other 30 years as zeroes  and include them in the standard deviation.

Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Add a set modifier to ignore the selection(s) to the stdev expression

Ignore all selections: Stdev({1} .... )

Ignore selections in FieldX and FieldY:  Stdev({<FieldX=,FieldY=>} .... )

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
danielact
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

I don't want to ignore selections, I want to take them into account. I just want that for the years which are excluded in the dataset, a zero should be used instead of excluding it.

For example, if I have an insurance company, and I'm looking at losses, here would be my data:

Year     Loss Amount

2000     10,000

2001     5,000

2004     4,000

2006     9,000

2007     12,000

2013     15,000

I don't want a standard deviation of just those six values. I want a standard deviation of 14 values, with the missing years counting as zeroes.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I don't want to ignore selections, I want to take them into account.

I just want that for the years which are excluded in the dataset, a zero should be used instead of excluding it.

Those two requirements contradict each other. Well, at least they do in the universe I happen to live in.

Not Excluding means Including afaik. To include the values you explicitly exclude by filtering you need to ignore the selection in the stdev expression.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand