Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Read speed - QV vs. SQL Management Studio

Hello,

what is your experience regarding load times from MS SQL in QlikView compared to MS SQL management Studio?

For example, we have a view retireving around 5.5 mio records with around 20 columns - in MS management Studio the data set is completely retrieved in under 2 minutes, while it takes around 11 minutes to fetsch all data in QV (desktop v9 SR2 installed on the same machine as SQL Server). Any ideas why there is such a difference and how to speed the read process in QV (without the QVD and/or incremental strategies).

Thanks, Bostjan

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I find the delay / difference is down to the allocation of memory as QV Loads. If you watch Qv.exe in task manager you can see it grabbing additional memory in chunks,populating with load and then grabbing more memory.

If you are on the same box as sqlserver.exe you may have an additional conflict as sql and QV fight for memory allocation.In QV Server you can pre-allocate the amount of memory given to QV server process and loads are initially fast until you hit this memory limit.

Also QV is additionaly attemtpting to compress and Optimise the data as its loaded into memory something that Studio isnt being tasked with.

This may be why an optimized QVD load is faster than a db Load something that has "concerned" me since starting to use the product as im not a fan of my company implementing the QVD's as a Warehouse and citing performance as one reason.

However I cant get round the fact that Store into QVD and load * from QVD is faster than select from db when both are stored on the same disk hardware (Raid 5 San).

Colin R

Not applicable
Author

Thanks.