Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
Katie_Davis
Digital Support
Digital Support

The OEM Dashboard is an application for Qlik Cloud designed for OEM partners to centrally monitor data across their customers’ tenants. It provides a single pane to review numerous dimensions and measures, compare trends, and quickly spot issues across many different areas—which would otherwise be a tedious and manual process.

This application includes data from the App Analyzer, Entitlement Analyzer, and the Reload Analyzer, all of which are other monitoring applications for Qlik Cloud that provide deep levels of detail on their respective areas. Together, a complete picture can be formed which is crucial to the successful management of an OEM environment.

For reference, here's a brief blog post and video which refers to this application and describes Qlik’s differentiating multi-tenant approach: https://www.qlik.com/blog/extending-the-power-of-qlik-sense-saas-for-oem-partners

Use Case:

While this application was built first and foremost for Qlik's OEM partners, it can also be used for direct customers that have multiple Qlik Cloud Tenants, e.g., global deployments or tiered deployments.

Items to note:

• This app is provided as-is and is not supported by Qlik Support.
  • It is recommended to always use the latest app.
  • Information is not collected by Qlik when using this app.

The links on this page include the OEM Dashboard application and configuration guide. Additionally, you'll find the Console Settings Collector application which is an optional data source for the OEM Dashboard described in the guide.

The applications and coinciding references are available via GitHub, linked below:

Any issues or enhancement requests should be opened on the Issues page within the app’s GitHub repository.

Thank you for choosing Qlik!

Qlik Platform Architects

Additional Resources:

Our other monitoring apps for Qlik Cloud can be found below.

12 Comments
veronica1
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi @Katie_Davis , we downloaded the OEM Dashboard but we can't set it up because the Configuration tab has only one variable declared: vu_qlik_meta_collection_parent_dir.

58b0a80d-81e4-4e40-899d-74eda09ffb26.png

I've checked the code and the variables named in the guide are not used in the script.

What am I doiing wrong?

Thanks in advance, 

Veronica

Daniel_Pilla
Employee
Employee

Hi @veronica1,

The OEM Dashboard only contains that single variable, correct. All other variables are configured in the supporting monitoring apps (App Analyzer, Reload Analyzer, Entitlement Analyzer). I just checked the docs again, and they are clear in this regard. The steps to configure the OEM Dashboard itself only make mention of that single variable. The steps to configure the supporting apps mention other variables.

I hope this helps-

Cheers,

Karthik_Parasa
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello @Daniel_Pilla @Katie_Davis , I have downloaded and configured OEM dashboard where it reads from the QVDs generated by other monitoring Apps (Entitlement Analyzer, App Analyzer, Reloads Analyzer, Console Settings Collector.) But the generated QVDs has different information and the script referring to older QVDs. Is there any updated version available for OEM Dashboard is available. Tried to modify the script with latest available QVDs generated but its complete rework and UI gets impact if updated incorrect manner.

Updated OEM Dashboard with script changes loading data from latest QVDs would be helpful, as there will be no impact on output.

Daniel_Pilla
Employee
Employee

@Karthik_Parasa - The OEM Dashboard requires QVDs that are written out by other monitoring apps, correct. Those monitoring apps all had to be heavily modified to support the OEM Dashboard, therefore, the OEM Dashboard requires the most recent versions of those monitoring apps to support it. The most recent versions of the monitoring apps generate the appropriate QVDs. It would be impossible to support older versions of the QVDs, as the models and data differ in the older versions of the apps that were created prior to the existence of the OEM Dashboard. Please follow the installation requirements for the OEM Dashboard to utilize it.

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

I've found an issue in the Console Settings Collector - the URL for the settings has a redirect in it that Qlik Cloud won't navigate and errors (although weirdly not on all tenants/connections). 

On the Sharing tab

https://$(vu_tenant_fqdn)/api/v1/sharing/settings 

should be

https://$(vu_tenant_fqdn)/api/v1/sharing-tasks/settings  

That resolves the redirect error. 

Daniel_Pilla
Employee
Employee

Hi @AlexOmetis ,

Thank you for catching this issue and for recommending a solution! This redirect did in fact break the reload for the Console Settings Collector, and your fix does indeed correct it. I'll work on getting the new app with the fix uploaded as soon as possible.

Cheers,

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@Daniel_Pilla no worries. I also noticed a discrepancy between the licence assignment showing in the OEM Dashboard vs Entitlement Analyser. e.g. for one tenant we have 95 assigned according to OEM Dashboard vs 99 assigned according to Entitlement Analyser. Management Console says 99 so agrees with Entitlement Analyser. 

I think it relates to using the detailed assignment information instead of the overview

"# Professional Assigned" in OEM Dashboard shows 99 using this calc: Alt(Max({<OverviewEntitlementType={'professional'}>}OverviewUnitsUsed),0)

"# Professional Assigned by Tenant (Current)" shows 95 using this calc: Count({<UserEntitlementAssigned={'professional'}>}DISTINCT UserIDMaster)

Underlying this I think there's an issue where some users are assigned licences but not showing in the user list in SaaS. I think there are 3 scenarios we have where this is happening:

• Hybrid deployment where the user has been assigned a licence on-prem but not logged into SaaS. These appear in the "Orphans" filter of the User list. Their userSubjects are in Entitlement Analyzer but it does not show the entitlement they've been assigned (if any). Their userSubjects don't show at all in the OEM Dashboard. 
  • Tenants using SCIM provisioning. This presents in the same way as the above except the users are in the "Provisioned" filter and the userSubject is tmp.scim\something. 
  • We have a tenant that was recovered and it appears licences are still assigned to users that no longer exist. These don't appear in the User list, Entitlement Analyzer or OEM Dashboard. 

In the first instance, perhaps the "Entitlements by Tenant" sheet should use the summary measure rather than detailed? 

Then perhaps there's something to review around the APIs / Entitlement Analyzer to show all assigned licences regardless of whether they're in the User list in SaaS or not. 

Daniel_Pilla
Employee
Employee

Hi @AlexOmetis ,

This is indeed a complex area, however I think the OEM Dashboard is designed as best as it can be currently given some limitations. Let me list off some bullet points in an attempt to keep from writing a book 🙂

• The OEM Dashboard loads data from the Entitlement Analyzer. They leverage the same model, however there are different levels of grain to be aware of.
  • The Entitlement Analyzer analyzes a single tenant. Its KPIs come from the `api/v1/licenses/overview` endpoint which is aggregated. That is the number that appears in the Management Console, hence, they match. 
  • The OEM Dashboard analyzes multiple tenants that are tied to a single license most commonly. If you want to know the assignments across tenants, you cannot leverage `api/v1/licenses/overview` because it will report the same number for every tenant--which is the total used across. That number is shown on the License tab in the OEM Dashboard, and will match the Management Console and the Entitlement Analyzer.
  • In order to calculate the assignments on a per tenant basis, the Entitlement Analyzer compares `api/v1/users` which is tenant specific against `api/v1/licenses/assignments` which is the list of all assignments across all tenants. Those numbers are shown per tenant on the Entitlements by Tenant tab in the OEM Dashboard.
  • You are correct that the overall number could be higher than the per tenant calculation because a user could indeed be deleted before removing the entitlement for that user. There is no way to say where that user was deleted from, so it doesn't appear in the per-tenant calc as the user no longer exists.
  • I agree that both the Entitlement Analyzer and the OEM Dashboard could be augmented to highlight user entitlements that are assigned to deleted user entities. That used to be clearly visible in the Management Console, but is no longer.

I hope this clarifies the numbers for you.

Cheers,

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Thanks for the explanation @Daniel_Pilla - I think it's a super useful app. We're not using it in the "pure" OEM way, but rather to monitor across multiple individually-licensed tenants, hence the discrepancy.

That said, you've got the functionality controlled by vSeparateLicenses to know whether the licences are separate or not, which controls which charts show. I think a tweak to this logic would help - this is what I've done:

• Removed the container show condition on the License table
  • Updated the show condition on the Licence table to (Len(GetCurrentSelections())=0 AND $(vSeparateLicenses)=0) OR $(vSeparateLicenses)=1
  • Added a column to the License table for Tenant Name with a show condition =$(vSeparateLicenses)=1.
  • Added a show condition for "Entitlements by Tenant" for =$(vSeparateLicenses)=0

This means that the overview data will be used for a combined licence but not show the tenant as well as for separate licences whilst showing the tenant. Then the Entitlements by Tenant one is just used when you have combined licences. 

For my scenario at least, this works and gives me what I need. Possibly could rename them "Entitlements Overview" and "Entitlements per User". 

Just sharing in case anyone else finds it useful too. 

JacovCohenQ
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi,

I couldn't understand, Do I need to install the monitoring apps on each tenant and then configure it on each tenant?

If so, can I use the task to install in each tenant as describe in https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Qlik-Cloud-Monitoring-Apps-Workflow-Guide/ta... ?