Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Controlling the QDF TRACE output

Hallo,

when developing an QV App using QDF one will get a lot of output in the script status window while running the script in the QV Client App. Most off this output belongs to QDF and, because QDF often works like expected, this TRACE output is worth nothing (see screenshot, german mode).

QV Script Output.PNG

So the idea is, that QDF should implement loglevels an app developer could set in order to fine tune the QDF TRACE output.

A good idea is to implement same levels as other logging frameworks like log4j or leg4net use. It should be possible to switch off any QDF tracing as well as use of different levels up to debug level.

It should be possible to change the level within the script, so that some load parts run in high, others in low logging/trace levels.

So in the above example for me only my custom coded TRACE 'OD:12.08.2015 12:08:37 (UTC): Script beendet' is usefull for me. Most of the other output is not interesting for me.

If you like this idea just vote for it.

Regards

Frank

(Update: I added my code here, because the comment editor of ideas in this web interface has got no advanced editor. It is just possible to add a picture or a video)

13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Frank,

Why not write a sub-routine to do this? The QDF is community driven so I would recommend writing the sub-routine and submitting it with the idea.

Not applicable
Author

Hallo Damian,

do you mean I should write and post the code of a sub-routine, that does the TRACE Output based on a given level? If so, this sub-routine has to be implemented into the QDF sourcecode at each line, where a TRACE statement is.

If you mean that, here comes a question: Who holds the sourcecode of QDF? Is it in a GIT or SVN repository? How to access it? Who does the code merging?

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Frank, the framework is basically only Qlik scripts, nothing is compiles except the Deploy Tool that is more like a delivery mechanism of these scripts. I'm doing the code merging and sending out updated packages. So if you have an idea just create/modify the function add comments and post it into the community. If it's a good idea, implementation is correct and it doesn't break anything it will go into next release. Most important is that we keep consistency so that members can upgrade without risk.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

Magnus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Magnus,

your answer helps to understand how the development of QDF is community driven.

Not applicable
Author

Hallo Magnus,

I have know done the coding and an example implementation within an InitLink.qvs. The Solution contains three files that I did not want to post to the community. It's some kind of "beta" code not edited by anyone. Is there a way to post a zip archive to you directly?

Regards

Frank

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Frank, thx. Just attach the zip into this discussion, I will have a look at it.

Cheers

Magnus

Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus,

I had to add it in the main post, because this is an "idea" post and not a normal post. Comment editor has no advanced mode 😞

So see the zip file above.

Regards

Frank

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Great! thx

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

It looks good Frank, is there any way to hide output other than trace? Seems a bit tiny to have a function that only hide the trace messages as most output are other things like AUTOGENERATE.

Cheers
Magnus