Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there a way to restrict Session CALs to access only a certain group of Documents?

I have a user pool that will not login often, and not all of this users have access to the same files.

Is there a way to give certain amount of Session CALs access to a specific group of files? I don't want to have to buy a Doc CAL for each of the files this people will access, or is that my best choice?

Also, same questions but with Named CALs, is there a  way to only allow access to a certain document group or folder?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Not 100% sure as I don't have access to a server right now, but...

Yes, you can assign user (independent of source) Named and Document CALs.

Access to QVW's is arranged via the Documents menu.

May you live in interesting times!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

To restrict the User pool login at different times - please use DMS Option. You can then authorize user documents to be viewed at certain time/day by different groups by choosing "Restricted' under authorization.

Session CAL's / Named CAL's can't be assigned to specific files/folders.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,

Madhu

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Not completely sure what you are trying to achieve, but let me write a few comments related to the topic that might get you in the right direction:

Make the split between CAL assignment and access to a document. You decide who has access to a document. As a separate activity decide if people get a Named or Document CAL assigned to them; Everyone who does not have a CAL assigned will be assigned a Session CAL when trying to open a document he has been granted access to.

So (assuming no dynamic CAL assignment):

You will decide who will get a Named CAL.

You will decide who will get a Document CAL.

Everyone else will use Session CALs.

You will decide per person or group of users which documents he is allowed to open.

Hope that helps you on your route to your answer. If not, please re-try to tell me what you are looking for.

Not applicable
Author

Hi! thanks for the answer  Onno van Knotsenburg

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have clients, and each client has several projects. So i want to give the users to each project ONLY access to his or her project with Document CALs, also give the client administrator user access to ALL the client's projects, but only that client's projects.

That's why I'm asking if it is possible to give some users that will use SessionCALs only access to some of the documents or folders on the QV Server.

Or for what I'm trying to do what would you recommend?

EDIT: I re-read your answer, how do you do this "You decide who has access to a document." how do I give certain access to certain users?

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Chris Brau wrote:

I re-read your answer, how do you do this "You decide who has access to a document." how do I give certain access to certain users?

Depend on the type of server you have.

If you have a Small Business Server, you can only do this via NTFS ("good old Windows" file access authorization). If you have an Enterprise Server, you can choose between NTFS and DMS ("QlikView authorization"). Also see the comment of Madhusudhan about DMS.

With both NTFS and DMS you should be able to organize which client (administrator) has access to which project.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I think I will use DMS.

So now all I have to do is create the users on the "Custom Directory"?

Can these users be assigned Named and Doc CALs?

And how/where do I give these users access to certain files?

Thank you for all your help so far!

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Not 100% sure as I don't have access to a server right now, but...

Yes, you can assign user (independent of source) Named and Document CALs.

Access to QVW's is arranged via the Documents menu.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for all your help!

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Happy I could help