Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard24best
Creator
Creator

Differentiate source systems

Hi All, I have scenario where our Qlikview is connected to SQL server (with 2 different SQL scripts/sources). How do I differentiate the 2 source systems in Qlikview? Appreciate your help For example SQL is retrieving Source system A and B, is it something I need to create a variable Sourcesystem = A / B
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Richard, did Marcus' latest post give you what you needed?  If so, please be sure to use the Accept as Solution button on his post to give him credit for the help he provided.  If you did something different, consider posting that for others to see and mark that post instead.  If you are still working on things, let us know where you stand.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

It depends - are those tables independent or joined/assciated or concatenated respectively a mix of them? What is the aim to differ between them?

- Marcus

richard24best
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for asking.

Well, these are independent tables.

While deriving Source A data, we have defined in SQL 'A' as Sourcesystem and for Source B data, we have 'B' as Sourcesystem.

Hence need help on how to pull this sourcesystem as 'A' or 'B' in Qlikview. 

marcus_sommer

If the tables are independent or if they will be concatenated (union in sql) it's usually enough the add the source-information as an own field, like: 'A' as source (if your database has features to return beside the data also table-information respectively meta-data you may use them).

If tables are associated or joined the above approach won't work. In this case the information must be included in the fieldname - quite common for this is to use: Qualify *; - but the approach has the disadvantage that it increased the lenghts of the fieldnames - especially if it's applied over multiple stages. And quite often it doesn't improve the readability and the comprehension from the users to the usually rather user-unfriendly fieldnames.

An alternatively might be to add the source (and further) information to tags/comments of the tables and fields.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Richard, did Marcus' latest post give you what you needed?  If so, please be sure to use the Accept as Solution button on his post to give him credit for the help he provided.  If you did something different, consider posting that for others to see and mark that post instead.  If you are still working on things, let us know where you stand.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.