Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there a way to create a subset of a dataset to be displayed in a chart using the expression field?

I have loaded up 1.5 years of data into qlikview. 3 charts will show up the 1.5 year data and it is showing up correctly.

However for a particular chart, I only want to display the current year data, totalling up only the volume values(excluding revenue).

Is it possible to segment this data set using expression?

I did something like this - sum(if(NUM(Left(Period,4))=$(vCurrentRptYear),Sum({$<[Measure]={'[Sale Volume (Actual)]'}>}[Value])))

But it didnt work - nothing showed up.

Anyone has any ideas?

9 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hei

can you be more specific did you try to use a calculated measure in your table or

measure is a field

can you post some sample data or the table fields

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You can right the set analysis to achieve this.

The expression will be.

Sum({<Year = {"$(vCurrentRptYear)",Measure = {"

Sale Volume (Actual)"} }>}Value)

Hope this will solve your problem.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki 

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

You can try with an expression like

sum({$<Year={2000}, Region={“U*”}>} Sales) which uses 2 conditions. You cannot use an expression NUM(Left(Period,4)) in the left side.

You have to create an year field with this expression first and then use like Year = {$(vCurrentRptYear)}

Not applicable
Author

Under chart properties, under Expression-> Definition.

I created an additional field _Year in the data set and put in this expression

sum({<_YEAR={$(CurrentRptYear)}>} [VALUE]) - just to test it out with only one criteria but nothing showed up in the chart.

Not applicable
Author

try with the below expression please.

sum({<_YEAR={'$(CurrentRptYear)'}>} [VALUE])

Not applicable
Author

The data did show up without using 'v'. But there was a problem - the filter which I created with this expression seems to be superceded by the list box which is selected.

Example list box I select Period - Jun 2010 to Jun 2011.
But within the chart itself, 2010 data has also been included. Any idea?

Not applicable
Author

you have to use 1 in the expression to have a subset excluding the current selection. Then your expression will be

sum({1<_YEAR={'$(CurrentRptYear)'}>} [VALUE])

Not applicable
Author

It was very helpful, thanks!

Is there a way to include this subset with a partial selection from the list box?

Not applicable
Author

I found a way to use a list box selection. By creating a variable and set it as follows - =GetFieldName(SelectedFieldname)

And use this in the expression box as seen below- but no charts appear. Is there a problem with this logic/syntax?

Thanks!

Sum({1<[_Year] = {$(CurrentRptYear)},[Measure] = {'Sale Volume (Actual)'},[Brand] = {$(BrandListBoxSelection)}>} [Value])