Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with number format

Hi

I am currently trying to learn Qlikview with the help of the book "Qlikview your business" by Oleg Troyansky. It is a brilliant book and Qlikview is amazing. I was really a die hard Excel fan before but Qlikview really has a way of automating and visualising large volumes of data that Excel just cannot.

However, I have come across a tedious and "stubborn" problem. It is related to the way the numbers are formatted. I am trying to use a dynamic number formatting whereby if the number is divided by a million, it shows one decimal, otherwise it just shows without a decimal. I have been trying to follow the examples of the book and the final solution file from the book is attached here (called 08.31 Profitability Analysis). My own version is showing a very different number format. I have included am input with the pre-defined values 1; 1000 and 1000000. In the variables that I use for my formulas, I have included that the value should be divided by the number in the input box. And then I have created a variable that gives a certain format if I divide by a million, another format if I divide by a thousand and so on.

The problem:

If I divide the figure by 1.000.000 (one million), it shows me a format of ##,###.0 instead of the #,##0.0 that I have assigned to the variable.

For instance, the Sales at list value for 2013 is 57,802,562.91 USD. Dividing by 1 Million, I would like to see 57.8. If I divide by a thousand, I would like it to be 57,803 and so on - just like in the file 08.31 Profitability analysis.

In Oleg's file it is working perfectly. However, if create a new file and just copy all the variables from his file into the new file, again it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

I am starting to think that since my computer has Swedish settings whereby a thousand separator is a space instead of a comma and a decimal is a comma instead of a point - that that might have something to do with it.

I hope I can get some help since I am stuck here and have been so the last 2 days.

Kind regards

Christoffer

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try adding an explicite separator definition list to your num() functions, like in

num(

(sum([# Amount at List Price]))/vUnit

,'$(fmt_PL)','.',',')

Not applicable
Author

Hello swuehl

thanks a lot for your very quick reply. It worked fine :-). Also, I have learned something new for the future when it comes to number formatting.

Again thank you and have a great day!

Kind regards

Christoffer

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Christoffer,

you're welcome.

If your request is resolved, then please consider closing this thread:

Qlik Community Tip: Marking Replies as Correct or Helpful