Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Should GIT be used more widely for Version Control than SVN?

Good Day

We're reviewing TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGIT as part of development prosess. We're currrently onyl two developers, but with plans to expand and we want to but the framework and best practice in place now.

At the moment I'm leaning towards TortoiseSVN because of the ability to add a project via Qlikview and to automatically commit changes everytime you save the QVW.

On the other hand, GIT is increasingly becoming popular, and given it's greater redundancy given that it stores a local copy on every developer PC, etc. - it seems to offer a lot of diserable chracteristics. However, in trerm of workflow it seems like I would need to largely interact through terminal commands or use TortoiseGIT to have a GUI to interact with and commit outside of QV, since QV11.5 does not support GIT natively. You can hoever still creat a project folder.

I guess my question has two aspects. How are other developers implementing these Version Controls in their environments and in your experience what has been the pros and cons?

Thank you for your time

Charles

0 Replies