Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hosasahana
Partner - Contributor III

how to extract the date part from excel file names and store it as a column?

hi all,

I request your help  to extract the date part from excel file names and store it as a column. Basically I have multiple files, almost 100's of them .I want to extract the date (in any date format )from their file name and place it as a date column and finally store all the columns into one qvd, so that I can identify individual file in my final data set.

here are the file names eg: I want to extract the yellow part and store.

hosasahana_0-1609850017973.png

regards,

Sahana

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

If you already have a loop in order to read all the files then you can use filebasename() when reading the file. You will get a string similar to this: 'Daily Inventory__5000000_20210105070700'

You will need to extract the desired substring to get your desired date. This could be done in many ways, depending on the variation on your file names, but for your sample this should work:

Left(SubField(filebasename(), '_', - 1),8) as Date

View solution in original post

settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Hi @hosasahana ,

Try to use SubField instead of Substring.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

If you already have a loop in order to read all the files then you can use filebasename() when reading the file. You will get a string similar to this: 'Daily Inventory__5000000_20210105070700'

You will need to extract the desired substring to get your desired date. This could be done in many ways, depending on the variation on your file names, but for your sample this should work:

Left(SubField(filebasename(), '_', - 1),8) as Date

Vegar
MVP
MVP

You could also take a look at this page for other string manipulating funtions: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Strin...

hosasahana
Author

hi Vegar,

thanks for your response. I tried the solution you sent but it gives me an error at the bracket. Not sure about the reason. Can you help?

Regards,

Sahana

hosasahana_0-1609852850236.png

settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Hi @hosasahana ,

Try to use SubField instead of Substring.

hosasahana
Author

thankyou very much Settu. It works.

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Thank you for spotting my mistake. I've edited my previous response to SubField()