Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

A sneaky use of QlikView gauges - Doughnut gauges

dfoster9
Not applicable

A sneaky use of QlikView gauges - Doughnut gauges

Here is a quick entry on how to create a doughnut gauge. These gauges provide an effective way of representing a percentile measure like a KPI. The gauge has the advantage over a Pie Chart of only requiring only one expression and can be formatted to produce a much cleaner looking chart.

donut_gauge.png

Step 1: Write your expression. You dont need to use a percentage you can use a total value.

Step 2: Add a gauge chart to your document

Step 3: Configure the gauge

GENERAL: Gauge

DIMENSIONS: No Dimensions

EXPRESSIONS: =1 (this forces the gauge to show the full circle)

STYLE: Choose the simple circular gauge.

PRESENTATION:

Min = 0

Max = 1

Indicator.Mode = Fill to Value

Show Scale = untick

Autowidth Segments = untick

Cylinder Thickness = 50

Angle Span = 360

Center Angle = 0

Hide Segment Boundaries = tick

Hide Gauge Outlines = tick

Segment 2.LowerBound = Expression from step 1

Segment 2.Colour = Black

Text in Chart = Expression from step 1

That's it. You can finesse to your hearts content. If you prefer to not use a percentage then the expression and the max need to be the total of the whole measures and the segment 2 lower bound would need to be the subset's measure value (really useful for showing things like data quality scores, order completeness, etc)

Tags (3)
Comments
Not applicable

Perfect, I needed something exactly like this!

Not applicable

One most commonly asked requirement from lot of people is to show a pie chart as the one attached. In my attachment, i have used the gauge chart along with a rounded corner text box ( textbox converted to circle by playing with the corner radius and squareness option in the layout tab. Where in Corner radius block select fixed and set it to 95 pts and squareness to 2).  So use a  Gauge chart. Go in the style tab and select the 1st style. Go in presentation tab and un-check show scale textbox. Set Angle Span to 360 degree. Set cylinder thickness to 20. In indicator block set mode to 'no indicator'(which will remove the needle) . In caption tab uncheck 'Show caption'. In layout tab uncheck 'Use borders'. Goin colors tab and set transparency to 100%. Apply your expressions and set the lower and upper bound for the gauge as required. To make the chart look better resize the circular textbox and bring it to the center of the gauge chart. pls refer the attached image for more clarity.

untitled.png

Not applicable

One most commonly asked requirement from lot of prople is to show a pie chart as the one attached. In my attachment, i have used the gauge chart along with a rounded corner text box ( textbox converted to circle by playing with the corner radius and squareness option in the layout tab. Where in Corner radius block select fixed and set it to 95 pts and squareness to 2).  So use a  Gauge chart. Go in the style tab and select the 1st style. Go in presentation tab and un-check show scale textbox. Set Angle Span to 360 degree. Set cylinder thickness to 20. In indicator block set mode to 'no indicator'(which will remove the needle) . In caption tab uncheck 'Show caption'. In layout tab uncheck 'Use borders'. Goin colors tab and set transparency to 100%. Apply your expressions and set the lower and upper bound for the gauge as required. To make the chart look better resize the circular textbox and bring it to the center of the gauge chart. pls refer the attached image for more clarity.

untitled.png

c_gilbert
Not applicable

Thanks so much for this - it has inspired me to create my own version for a document I'm working on, which always has 3 months worth of data - Previous Month, Current Month and Next Month.

I'm not sure how usable this actually is, but it's been fun to create and experiment with. Here it is, with 2 colour variations.

QV_donutgauges.png

richard_pearce6
Not applicable

Looks really nice Rohan, do you have any issues with poeple using Ajax client rather than IE Plugin?

dfoster9
Not applicable

Charlotte that looks great! Did you use multiple charts to get the layering effect or is there a sneaky layer I missed?

richard_pearce6
Not applicable

Looks great Charlotte!!

c_gilbert
Not applicable

Thank you! it is 3 separate charts layered together.

The top chart also has text objects over the top (with rounded edges and transparent fill) to create the grey circles dividing them, as I thought it looked a little harsh with the black outlines that QV puts on, but guess you could also get the same effect with leaving small gaps (like the 2nd colour scheme) and putting a grey filled circle in the background.

richard_pearce6
Not applicable

KPI Layered Objects.png

I use a smilar technique with various other text boxes, line charts and straigt tables as shown here. I like combining objects like this for summary pages so you can see at a glance the KPS's performance.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-6470

Regards

Richard

QlikCentral.com

PS - The image has scaled quite large but you get the idea

dfoster9
Not applicable

Sorry to be a grump but I always try to avoid layering objects as you cant guarantee positioning and rendering (especially on mobile). It looks like on .next's simplified layout you wont be able to layer at all anyway.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎09-11-2013 12:15 PM
Updated by: