Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Troubleshooting QlikView Extensions 04/14

Information and tools used to troubleshoot QlikView extensions

For best viewing, we recommend you set the highest video resolution.

Q&A - Troubleshooting general connectivity issues

Q: ­what kinds of computer language is supplied in extension?

A: Extensions are web snippets embedded in the webpage that is created by the access point. Therefore you can theoretically use everything that is available on the web and that can be interpreted by the Microsoft IIS. Basics of extension programming include HTML, JavaScript and CSS. Also possible for usage is Adobe Flash / Flex, Visual Basic, C# and Java.

Q: ­Is there a library where we can download the objects?

A: Yes and no. There is not one library for downloading (object) extensions. In fact there are three more or less structured ways for receiving extensions:

1) Qlik Market

Qlik Market was made for having one place on which partners could distribute their content, including extensions.

2) Qlik Community

There are several good extensions that were developed by individuals and then published in the community for free and public use. Just search for extension or look through the posts in the area dedicated to extensions.

3) Multiple blogs

Google for QlikView Extension and find multiple blogs on which people have published extensions for public use.

One blog I would like to advertise via this way is Stefan Walther’s blog that could be found at http://www.qlikblog.at

This blog contains lots of interesting posts as well as lots of useful and highly sophisticated extensions.

Q: ­what extension did you use for changing css­

A: That was the branding demo by Brian Munz that can be found in the community under http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-4243

Q: ­console.log is not supported by earlier version of IE­

A: Well, as I previously stated: IE is not quite the best browser for debugging your extensions. Maybe try Firefox instead and come back to Internet Explorer for final testing.

Q: ­Does every extension need to be in a subfolder? Sometimes when I double-click on a ".qar" file, they are in a sub-sub-folder.­

A: They don’t need to be in directly in a sub-folder underneath the Objects or Document folder, sub-sub-folders will do just fine. In fact if you look at Qlik’s example extensions, they are in a folder structure that goes “QlikView” -> “Examples” -> …

Q: ­can we get a copy of the CSS file used?­

A: The extension was published by Brian Munz and can be found in the community under http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-4243

Q: ­Can extension be used with QV workbench?­

A: Yes. The workbench will retrieve QlikView objects by their ID. In that matter, extension objects are treated nothing different than a QlikView object.

Q: ­did these extensions can be used in IE11 ?i find that some extensions can't be shown in IE 11.­

A: I did not explicitly test the extensions in IE 11. But browser compatibiltiy of an extension depends on the extension itself, as with any other webpage, so make sure that you do test the behavior of your own extension in all the browsers that will be used at the customer before giving the extension into production.

Q: ­Will the extensions compatibles with QlikView.Next?­

A: As of now, we cannot say for sure what will be supported within QlikView.Next and what not. But for one thing: QlikView.Next will be all about extensibility and we will use our own API for the core objects as well, meaning technically our own objects will be extensions, too.

Q: ­did these extensions can be used in IE11 ?i find that some extensions can't be shown in IE 11.it's normal in chrome ,i don't know  what’s happened in IE11 .­

A: See question above.

0 Replies