Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igoralcantara
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

How to Ask Great Questions in the Qlik Community

Hey Qlik Community,

I want to share a story with you all. It’s about someone's early days in the Qlik Community, a place that felt like a vast ocean of knowledge and expertise. However, navigating it wasn't always easy, especially when it came to getting the help this person needed. For better storytelling reasons, let's say it was me. My posts were often too vague or confusing, leading to frustration and few useful responses.

One day, I posted a question that I thought was clear: "Why isn’t my Qlik script working?" After a few days with no replies, I realized that my question didn’t give enough information for anyone to help me. It was like asking a mechanic, “Why isn’t my car running?” without mentioning the make, model, or symptoms. If you have worked with support before, you probably had that experience with a user. Or if you're married ("why did you do that?"; "did what??") 😄

After some trial and error, and learning from the fantastic community members, MVPS, Ambassadors and Luminaries, I found a way to get the responses I needed. Here are some tips that transformed "my" experience and might help you too.

1. Be Specific and Detailed:
Instead of "Why isn’t my Qlik script working?", try: "I am using Qlik Sense to connect to a SQL database, and my script returns an 'Invalid column name' error when loading data. Here’s the script I’m using: [insert script]. What could be causing this issue?"

2. Provide Context:
Explain the background of your problem. Are you following a specific tutorial? Did the script work previously and suddenly stop? The more context you provide, the easier it is for others to understand and help.

3. Include Screenshots or Code:
A picture is worth a thousand words. Screenshots of error messages or the part of the code that’s causing trouble can be incredibly helpful. Make sure to redact any sensitive information.

4. State What You’ve Tried:
Before posting, describe the solutions you’ve already attempted. This helps others avoid suggesting the same things and can lead to more advanced troubleshooting. For example: "I tried changing the column name in the SQL query, but the error persists."

5. Ask One Question at a Time:
If you have multiple issues, it’s often best to post separate questions for each. This makes it easier for community members to provide focused answers.

6. Be Patient and Polite:
Remember, the community is made up of volunteers who are here to help. A little patience and a thank you can go a long way. If someone's reply is the solution for your problem, let this person know in a reply and don't forget to flag their answer as the solution.

7. Use Relevant Tags:
Tags help categorize your question, making it easier for experts in that area to find and answer it. Use tags that are specific to your issue, like “Qlik Sense,” “SQL,” or “script error.”

8. Use Storytelling:
In my storytelling/presentation workshops I always teach people that the most important in any good message has the following elements:

- An Amazing Beginning and Ending
- It is structured in 3 acts: Present the problem, develop the context, Call to action or conclusion.

Keep that in mind when writing a Community post.

Here’s an example of a well-structured question:

---

Title:
"Qlik Sense Script Error: 'Invalid column name' when loading from SQL database"

Body:
"Hi everyone,

I’m encountering an issue with my Qlik Sense script when trying to load data from a SQL database. I receive the following error: 'Invalid column name'.

Context:
- I’m following a tutorial on Qlik’s website about connecting to SQL databases.
- This error started after I added a new column to my SQL table.
- Here’s the part of the script that’s causing the issue:
```
LOAD
CustomerID,
CustomerName,
OrderDate,
NewColumn
FROM
[SQL Database] (qvd);
```
Attempts:
- I’ve verified that the column name in SQL matches the name used in the script.
- I’ve refreshed the connection but still encounter the error.

Screenshot:
[Insert screenshot showing the error message]

Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

---

So, isn't that a much better message?

By following these tips, you’ll not only increase the chances of getting the help you need but also contribute to making the Qlik Community a more effective and enjoyable place for everyone.

I also recommend learning from this incredible source of documents: 
Getting Started and How-To's | Qlik Community

Happy Qliking!

Check out my latest posts at datavoyagers.net
Labels (3)
1 Reply
F_B
Creator III
Creator III

Very nice storytelling reminder!