Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StefanE
Contributor III
Contributor III

Problem generating Pivot filters separate from Pivot table

Good day Everyone,

I've got question regarding Pivot table filters in NP. 

I wanted to copy a pivot table, remove everything in the copy but one field to select, connect the two pivot tables via slicers. 

The result when I generated an Excel with only one pivot table filter field was number two below:

StefanE_0-1694441350499.png

Text is missing an area below the actual filter field is created, containing nothing and isn't connected to any PT. Did I change some basic pivot table settings or is this just the reality when one tries to do that.

Basis is a flat table, formatted as Excel table.

Any shared experiences or tips?

Thank you and kind regards

Stefan

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StefanE
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for all of your replies!

To move forward I used a workaround using values. It did the trick.

StefanE_0-1694530509015.png

Thanks again and kind regards

Stefan

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @StefanE 

I would say to go through this help page to ensure that the pivot table was created accurately from the get go.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/ExcelReports/Pivot-table-Excel.htm

Make sure to check 'every' point thoroughly as skipping any detail will have unexpected report output consequences.

At the end of the day, it may be necessary to redo the pivot table with your Qlik data if the source data elements have changed or if you are trying to add or remove elements from an existing report.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
StefanE
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for your, reply @Frank_S !

Unfortunately, that did not solve the "issue". I'm wondering if someone could successfully do this or it's just not possible to generate pivot table filters on there own properly.

Kind regards

Stefan

Frank_S
Support
Support

It may not be possible @StefanE but if you want' me to look at it more closely, upload as sample app and report so I can see your work.

I'll see if there is an MS Excel technique that could work. 

There aren't any out of the box techniques in our instructions it would appear but the source data fields/dimensions used must be up to date and included in your existing NP report or will need to be redone as mention in my first comment.

Also try to mock up your 'expect results' and exactly what your requirement is. Are you trying to make the pivot table dynamic based on a 'filter' you are inserting above the pivot table?

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It is not possible. 
pivot table filters must be sourced from source table of pivot table data. 
also if you want to set only some filter directly on pivot table the only way is to apply macro. 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
StefanE
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for all of your replies!

To move forward I used a workaround using values. It did the trick.

StefanE_0-1694530509015.png

Thanks again and kind regards

Stefan

Frank_S
Support
Support

Thanks for sharing your unique solution @StefanE !

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

hi @StefanE 

this is all fine, but why did you have to do this in 2 separate pivot tables?

i usually use slicers directly on the pivot table i want to filter so it is not clear from your post what is the reason for 2 pivot tables and all those steps. 

as far as i can understand from your description you are creating 1 pivot table to obtain filters and create slicers and use them to filter another pivot table?

so why cant you do that directly on 2nd pivot table?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
StefanE
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

the reason why is not related to the "problem" at hand, caused by NPrinting Excel Report generation.

If you want to create an interactive, all connected dashboard with several dropdown filters, severeal KPI tiles and Pivot charts, as mentioned in my latest post, then there's no other way to accomplish that (as far as I know).