Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements
QlikWorld 2020: Join us May 11 - 14, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. Register early and save $400. Learn More

Designing a Self Report with Qlik View

Luminary
Luminary

Designing a Self Report with Qlik View

Enable your users to design their own reports!

Often it´s the case that your users would like to have the possibility to see many different reports with many different dimensions. You usually would then start to build a report according to their requirements. But sometimes you build a new report and when you are finished your users come up with the next question and require new fields in that report. Or the one user would like to see it a little bit different then the next one and wants to see a dimension that the other one doesn´t need at all. Many times there are reports that are just used one time and it doesn´t make sense to integrate them into the Qlik View Design. The solution is to build a report like described as follows which I call “Self-Report”. The first time I saw this was in the “What is new in Qlik View 11” document issued by Qlik. This is a description of how to do it.

Attachments
Comments
Partner
Partner

Nice, but I wish the Dimensions were not hard coded and were more flexible using variables.

Yours is great if there are not too many dimensions they could pick from.

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

Should be possible. What would be the reason for you to do this? My Intention was to be able to pick each one individually this is why I haven´t thought about this yet. Right now I manage 89 dimensions in this way.

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

It is a nice report builder.

My concern is by hard coding each field name it's a little limited. 

Let's say you allow users to add up to 20 columns to the report builder but can pick from 50 fields then your method would have you adding all 50 fields to the chart and conditionally enabling them. Additionally new fields would not automatically be available in the report builder.

Through the use of variables you could add just 20 dimensions to the chart and they would dynamically be set by which columns are selected. 

You could do something like add this for dimensions 1- 20

='$(vDimx)' where x = 1 to 20

the variable is defined as

=Subfield(Concat(DISTINCT $Field, ','), ',', x) where x=1 to 20

Then display $Field as a list box- maybe omit some values like those with a hide prefix.

Now you have a dynamic report builder where all you entered for the dimensions are ='(vDim1)', ='(vDim2)' and even if you add a new field to the data model it will still be available in the report builder.

Luminary
Luminary

Interesting idea. I´ll see if I can set this into Action and maybe add an example to this threads attachments to make it as complete as possible. Right now we use Bookmarks instead. This is because we wanted to Keep it flexible to the user. Via Bookmarks a user can now save his own selection exactly according to his needs. If there are Standard reports where I usually want to use a set of fields in a specific combination then I add Bookmarks and link them to Buttons. In this was I have created a libary for us. I will also add some more Bookmarks to Point out that function a Little bit better.

Partner
Partner

You can still use bookmarks and buttons with my example.

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

I am working with a self report using the methods that you have described in your post as well as using FirstSortedValue().  However, the users tend to want to rearrange the column order once they have created a report.

When this is done, if the user then clears the report and begins a new one, the column order will be affected by this change.

For example, a user selects dimensions D1, D2 and D3 and expression E1. The user then decides to move E1 to between D1 and D2.  Now the order is D1, E1, D2, D3.  If the user creates a brand new chart using dimensions D4,D5,D6 and E2 - the initial order will be D4, E2, D5, D6.

Have you encountered this issue? Are you aware of a means to reset the column order?  This occurs both with straight tables and pivot tables

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

I think we had similar issues. Our users arranged their columns. Every time they came back they were the same as last time when they arranged it except then if there was a load by the Management console in the meantime. Then everything was set back to the Status as the document was saved on the Server. Even Bookmarks were effected by this even if the user used "Include Layout state". We could solve this by updating to the latest Qlik View Release. Since then a user can save a Bookmark and it will Keep the arranged column order so that he can really use it as a Report. But the Basic layout is set back with every load (means only the Bookmarks keeps the arranged order).

This means:

- Reload sets back the sort order

- You could use a Bookmark that sets back the column order to the way you want it, probably you can Trigger it so that it is applied every time e.g. somebody clicks "clear"

- Your users can use Bookmarks to Keep a  column order when clicking on "Include Layout state"

Our Version is: Qlik View 12 SR1 (it didn´t work before we changed to this Version)

I hope this helps.

Partner
Partner

We are on an older release but now I am anxious to see if 12 SR1 resolves the column order issue.

0 Likes
Luminary
Luminary

For us it was not the reason why we updated. It was one of the positive small effects that we discovered. Also the visualization changed slightly. It got softer e.g. for Frames of Charts and list boxes which Looks a Little bit nicer. And we had a customized formatting of our Chart values which was doing fine in tables but not on the axis of the Charts. After the update this was resolved unexpected

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

I need to justify an upgrade and tie it to a feature so this could be enough of a reason to go to QV 12 SR1.

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2016-03-07 08:14 AM
Updated by: