How to connect Hadoop Hive

This is an example to show how you can connect QlikView with Hadoop Hive by using the JDBC Connector:

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2438

First make all settings for the JDBC Connector as described.

Then you can download a Cloudera demo VM: https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/SUPPORT/Downloads

After starting the CentOS VM with Hadoop you can create the Beeswax for Hive examples (via web app Hue), which are two tables:

Cloudera01.png

Then start the Hive service which is running on default port 10000:

/usr/bin/hive --service hiveserver

Don't forget to find out the IP address of your VM (call ifconfig).

Next steps are on the client side. Extract attached file hive_jdbc-0.7.1.zip to a folder.

This file is a special collection we have made for this purpose. Also, we had to include a file META-INF/services/java.sql.Driver with the driver name org.apache.hadoop.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver into the library hive-jdbc-0.7.1.jar.

Now, add all Java libraries with the full path to the CLASSPATH variable:

hive-jdbc-0.7.1.jar

hive-exec-0.7.1.jar

hive-metastore-0.7.1.jar

hive-service-0.7.1.jar

hadoop-0.20.0-core.jar

commons-logging-1.0.4.jar

log4j-1.2.16.jar

libfb303.jar

slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar

slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar

Now connect to the Hive instance in QlikView and select your table:

CUSTOM CONNECT TO "Provider=JDBCConnector_x64.dll;jdbc:hive://192.168.113.139:10000/default;XUserId=KVPKRRRNPLdIWSJOBDTA;XPassword=EdZQQRRNPLdIWSJOBTYA;";

Cloudera02.png

See the result in the attached QVW file.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have troubles with this tutorial. Any notes or comments are welcome.

- Ralf

Update: I collected all needed jar files for Hive 0.8.1 which is distributed with the new Cloudera distribution CDH4. You can use this setup:

JDBCConfig.png

Update 2: I collected all needed jar files for Hive 0.9 (see attachments). There is still an UTF-8 issue in Hive 0.9. Ask me for a fix.

Update 3: We work hard to figure out if and how we can use JDBC with Cloudera Impala. Maybe something will come up soon.

Update 4: Now we have a first version of a Cloudera Impala JDBC driver (3 month before Cloudera itself will release one) which is using Beeswax API. Just contact me I you need a trial version. Impala has an amazing response time!