3D Surface Chart Extension Object (Version 1)

As a follow up to  the initial work I did on integrating a 3D surface chart into QlikView, I have finished the WebGL version of the chart. This one is fully completed is a "release" product. It displays a 3D grid, auto scales the data axis, and displays the dimension labels and values. It uses WebGL code to render a much better display. It is also fully interactive, allowing viewing of the chart at any angle.

The only thing missing is that it does not display the values when you hover over the data points. If that is a must have then I suggest you use the earlier version I did of this chart, which can be found here http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-3202. That version is not nearly as pretty, and does not auto-scale, but it does display the values as pop-up text.

As before, the real credit goes to a chap named Greg Ross, who actually developed the chart API in javascript. I just integrated it into QlikView. (More information the API can be found herehttp://www.grvisualisation.50webs.com/javascript_surface_plot.html)

Below is a screen shot of the chart from within QlikView.

Screen_Shot.jpg

POINTS TO NOTE:

The chart does not work in IE at the moment. IE does not provide support for WebGL or some of the inbuilt functionality needed to render the chart properly. It seems that 'Web Mode' in the QlikView desktop emulates IE so the chart wont work in the desktop client either. You will need to deploy the extension to the server and view the attached QVW from there with a non-IE browser. I used Chrome but others should work. I tested with an iPad and while the chart displayed, it was not interactive and did not display all of the features, as I assume Safari does not fully support WebGL.

I have not changed the extension object code to a QAR, as it wont work within the desktop product anyway (see above). Simply unzip the code to your server directory C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Extensions\Objects and copy the QVW to your server.

If there are zeroes in your data then QlikView doesnt pass them to the chart. To get around this you need to add a second expression to the chart that always equates to a number eg. sum(1). The extra expression is not used in the chart, but forces every row to be included.

Please note that this extension object is unsupported and is supplied "AS IS". I hope you find it useful.