The Power of Gray in QlikView

This one minute video shows the power of the associative experience and the grey (unassociated) values in QlikView.  Many folks will recognize this video short as it was done a few years back.  This is an updated version with a newer application.

Here’s the original blog post:

Most business intelligence tools are good at answering the first question someone might ask, such as "What are my best selling products?" or "Who are my top customers?" or "What are the sales trends for my products or customers?" Answering the initial question is not all that difficult, as evidenced by the number of tools that can do it. The tough part is answering the subsequent question based on the answer to the first question, and then the third and fourth questions, and so on. I'm not talking just about drilling down, which while useful does not go far enough. The greater difficulty is making it possible for business people to answer any question they come up with in highly intuitive and interactive way.

Imagine you're a marketing analyst who wants to understand where to focus your promotional efforts. The first question you want to answer is, "What have been my most profitable products so far this year?" Next, you want to understand which customers are buying these products. As you think it through you realize that what you really want to know is which customers are not buying them. You click your way through a QlikView document. You come up with another question: "Which of those customers who aren't buying our most profitable products have been active buyers in the last two months?" And there you have it: your list of customers to target in a marketing campaign.

Using insights gleaned in QlikView, you can begin putting together a campaign to target specifically those customers who are active buyers but who are not buying the products you need them to be buying. QlikView helped you find not just the associated data (highlighted in white), but the unassociated data (highlighted in gray). The really useful answer is rarely the initial one provided by a report or a specific piece of analysis. We're not talking about a drill path; rather, we're talking about a series of related questions based on a set of data associations. With QlikView, data associations persist as the user conducts analysis. QlikView works the way your mind works. It's intuitive and supports the natural flow of the insight discovery process, answering not just the obvious questions, but the not so obvious questions as well.