Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magnificen7
Contributor II
Contributor II

Market Share Equation

Hi,

I need help with a market share equation. I have one table that looks like the following. 

Company/ Premiums Written/ Market share

The market share equation looks like the following and is calculating correctly.
=sum([Premiums Written Amount state])/aggr(NODISTINCT sum({<[Entity Name] = >} [Premiums Written Amount state]), [Year])

I have another table that is the following.

State/ Premiums written/ Market Share

I'd like to be able to select a company, and the market share calculates each states market share for just that 1 company being 100% versus all companies being the 100%.

For example if Chubb is selected and their total premium is $100, and their premium in CA is $10, I'd like to see 10% versus maybe 1% if the entire industry premium is $1000.

Hopefully that makes sense. If it doesn't I can try to explain more clearly.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
edwin
Master II
Master II

if you require the user to select a company then you can do a simple divide by the total:

sum( [Premiums Written Amount state])/sum(total  [Premiums Written Amount state])

obviously, it will be across ALL companies if no company is selected 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
edwin
Master II
Master II

if you require the user to select a company then you can do a simple divide by the total:

sum( [Premiums Written Amount state])/sum(total  [Premiums Written Amount state])

obviously, it will be across ALL companies if no company is selected 

magnificen7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Thanks for responding! I tried that as well and it's not giving me an accurate market share by state. Is it because I have other metrics selected as well? Like the year?

This is what I'm getting with that equation. (attached picture) I would expect the market share for California to show 10.8%.

Do I need to add something in the equation for the year and for the state?

edwin
Master II
Master II

its hard to say what is wrong when there is no visibility to what you are doing also your number (10.8%)does not match your picture as you are only showing part of the numbers.  i used the same expression and im getting the rt numbers:

edwin_0-1612191141742.png

magnificen7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Edwin,

Thanks again for getting back to me.

I realized I had this as my equation

=sum([Premiums Written Amount state])/sum({1} TOTAL [Premiums Written Amount state])

Instead of what you posted. I pasted in what you had and it worked. Thanks for your help!

edwin
Master II
Master II

np