Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

break even analysis

Hi All,

I can't figure this one out.

Just trying to create a simple line chart.

The x-axis should just be a numeric value, in this case representing units sold, each unit has a unique identifier but can appear more than once in the data, so I can count(distinct unit) to get the total value

Then I want to plot the average income per unit, which should just be a 45 degree line, increasing per unit sold

I can then add my fixed costs which are easy as this is just a straight horizontal line

and variable costs which start at the fixed cost on the y-axis and again increase per unit sold

The expressions I can figure, but how can I plot the x-axis?

6 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think you want to accumulate your y-values, so maybe enable the full accumulation option or use

something like

=Rangesum(Above( Count(DISTINCT unit),0,rowno() ))

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

Use that as a calculated dimension?

Its what I should use as the actual dimension which has me stumped in this case!

I'm just adding a rowno to my load script to see if I can use that as the dimension, not sure why I can;t sus this one, just having a total mental block

swuehl
MVP
MVP

No, I was thinking about an expression that accumulates the count of units.

Maybe I am just not understanding what you are trying to achieve. Why is the average income per unit increasing with the number of units?

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

I'm not explaining myself very well, as I said... brain fail!

I think adding a rowno() to the load script is the best way to achieve what I want, just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Probably easier if I show you what I intend to produce, the red ring is the break even point (appreciate I probably can't add the red ring to QV!)

qv_example.JPG

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you manage to create your excel table in QlikSense in the data model, I think you are all set.

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

I'm trying this in desktop and I kind of need to work with the model as it is as its already 325,000,000 records and there is a whole dashboard already hanging off it.

I think once I can get the rowno() working correctly in the load script I should be grand though, it was an epiphany I had after posting this!