Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

How to set-up QlikView Document Administration

Not applicable

How to set-up QlikView Document Administration

Introduction

The QlikView Document Administration functionality allows a dashboard developer to access the QEMC for the purposes of administering their dashboards.  When enabled, the dashboard developer will be able to schedule data loads and distribution of their dashboard.

Document Administrators will have access to their own dashboard infrastructure within the QEMC Status and Document tabs, but they will not have access to the other Enterprise configuration tabs within the QEMC.

One-Time QlikView Server Set-Up

Go to the Computer Management console within the Administrative Tools on your Windows servers which are running the QlikView Server service.  Add the group “QlikView Document Administrators”, and then add the network groups or accounts to that group for the folks who will have this access.

Important Note: The functionality will not work if the group is not named exactly as specified by QlikTech.

Capture.JPG

Grant Document Administrator Distribution Privileges

Navigate to the QlikView Enterprise Management Console (QEMC):

Select the “System” tab.  Select the “Setup” tab.

Select the server or server cluster under the “QlikView Servers” folder.  And, select the “Folder Access” tab.

Click on the person plus icon next to the mounted Access Point folder.  Grant the Document Administrator privileges there.  Important note: Do NOT grant them access to the whole server.  There is a bug (in v10) where if you do that, you might be able to change it to someone else, but you will never be able to remove it.

Remember to click the "Apply" button.

Capture.JPG

Grant Document Administrator Document Refresh Privileges

Select the “System” tab.  Select the “Setup” tab.

Select the server or distribution cluster under the “Distribution Services” folder.  And, select the “General” tab.

Click on the green plus icon on the “Source Folders” section to add the dashboard developers individual or team work area directory, i.e where their source code (dashboard infrastructure) is located.

Click on the person plus icon and add their network account to be able to distribute from their directory.

Remember to click the “Apply” button.

Capture.JPG

Document Administration Perspective

When you as an administrator grant access to the Document Administrator to schedule tasks, you will see another directory in the “Documents” > “Source Documents” path.  This is the only directory that the Document Administrator will be able to see.

Labels (1)
Comments
Not applicable

Due to QlikTech bug 36370, Document Administrators do NOT have the ability to distribute to email, i.e. for the purposes of sending Reload Failure Notifications.  QlikTech has not said which release this will correct this issue.

0 Likes
Partner
Partner

Hi Tankya,

I just upgrade the server to QV 11 and my reload failure notifications are not working. Is there any official document about that bug that you just mention?

Did you got this information from QlikTech Support?

Cheers,

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi vmrodrigues,

I did receive this information from QlikTech, yes, but I only got an email about it from the person who was working with me. They did not have this bug included in any bug list documentation.

But I recently just learned something new which might relate to what you are experiencing. Did you know that you have to pay a separate licensing fee for the ability to send the Reload Failure Notification as a pdf report via email? I think that the licensing is just related to sending a pdf report actually. But anyway, you can see whether you have this license if you go to your QlikView Publisher License tab in the QEMC. You should see a line in the license (LEF) file that has the following text, if you have the license installed.

Go to System tab. Licenses. Highlight QlikView Publisher. And you can see the contents of your LEF file.

PDF_GENERATION;YES;;

I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Tanya

shubham_kumar
Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for your precious information. That means the reload failure notifications only works with the QlikView Publisher Licence, what if I have the QlikView Licence, will it not send? If yes then let me know how to fix that!!

Best Regards

Shubham

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Shubham,

I'm not really sure how to answer your question.  I would recommend that you talk with your QlikTech sales folks to get an idea of exactly which functionalities have been enabled with the licenses that your company has purchased.

Kind regards,

Tanya

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there any possibility that a document administrator is only limited to modify the 'distribute' tab under Documents - Source Documents? Our intention is to give certain application owners the rights to change the people their application should be distributed to. They should not have access to anything else. Any possibilities for this?

Rgrds,

Neil.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi Neil,

I don't think that this is possible, but there are a couple different ways that you could do it.

1) What I recommend is that you hook up your QlikView to use LDAP authentication, and then enforce a policy where distribution of dashboards can only be done to network groups rather than individual network accounts.  This is what we have done, and the network group administration is done completely outside of QlikView.  We did it this way because we didn't want to have to administer the individual access for every single dashboard.  Once folks got used to the change, they are fine with administering their own network groups.

2) Another way is to distribute to an everybody in the company type of network group (if you have one).  We have one for Sharepoint access, for example.  Then you can further reduce the people who can see the dashboard with the following type of code, and your dashboard owners can manage the security in an .xls by individual.  (The Admins are the only ones allowed to open the file, so be careful with that part.)

I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Tanya

LOAD

* INLINE [
ACCESS, %FLAG_ADMIN, NTNAME
ADMIN, Y, NTACCOUNT1

ADMIN, Y, NTACCOUNT2

ADMIN, Y, NTACCOUNT3

ADMIN, Y, NTACCOUNT4

];
CONCATENATE

// !! Place Security.xlsx in the same folder as your Dashboard !!

LOAD upper(ACCESS) as ACCESS,

upper(FLAG_ADMIN) as %FLAG_ADMIN,

upper(NTNAME) AS NTNAME ,

upper(SECROLE) as %SECROLE,

upper(SECGEO) as %SECGEO

FROM Security Template.xlsx (ooxml, embedded labels, header is 1 lines, table is AccessControl);

//// ***************

// ***************
Section Application;
// ***************

Star is *;

[%Admin_FLG]:

LOAD * INLINE [
%FLAG_ADMIN
Y
N
]
;

[%SEC_GEO]:

LOAD

SECGEO as %SECGEO,

[Sales Geo]

FROM
Security Template.xlsx
(
ooxml, embedded labels, table is Geo);

[%SEC_ROLE]:

LOAD SECROLE AS %SECROLE,

ADMIN,

RoleA,

RoleB,

RoleC,

RoleD

FROM
[Security Template.xlsx]
(
ooxml, embedded labels, table is Role);

Star is ;

// **************************************************

// End

Not applicable

thanks for the post - very useful

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am having problems with the documents showing up in Source Documents. The server shows up in there but it doesnt show me any of the folder structures we have. Also semi related, but when setting up the Source Folders Path, the browse button shows the server correctly under networked drive but cant see anything underneath.

The QlikView Server is set up on a different box than the Publisher server.

Any help?

0 Likes
Not applicable

did you tried the share directly? if so - it won't work

0 Likes
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2011-10-24 06:34 PM
Updated by: