Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.

Custom Calendar Generator

karmariv82
Contributor III

Custom Calendar Generator

The calendar date dimensions is maybe the most common dimension in a data warehouse.  Sometimes calendars are pretty simple and only contain values such as Year, Month, or Date and some additional format variations like Month-Year, or Quarter-Year.  But, other times you could need additional information  such as fiscal year or holidays.  The Custom Calendar Generator is an application that can be used to create QVDs with calendar information. It has been designed to add holidays, and fiscal period.

The calendar generated can be reused across applications. For instance, you can generate one containing ten years, and then when loading your data model, get the maximum and minimum dates in your fact table and use them to filter your calendar. The benefits of following this practice is that you save time coding (if you were used to create a master calendar script per project) and processing time (if you have one script per project). And also, regarding maintenance you just have to worry about one file.

The attached file contains the application and a guideline about how to use it. Finally, if you have any question or opinion about the application feel free to add your comments. Feedback is very welcomed.

Attachments
Comments
shearwatertroy
New Contributor III

This looks great, I'd like to try it in Qlik Sense if you are able to develop it for Sense

karmariv82
Contributor III

Hi Troy,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunatelly at this time, I don't have experience working with Qlik Sense, but maybe in a near future I could get some knowledge and see if I can develop a version for sense.

Kind Regards,

vcanalecontext
Contributor II

Hi Karla,
this is great, but it'd be perfect if it could include the Country specification, mostly for the Fiscal Year and the Holidays.

wallerjc
New Contributor III

Looks great.

Thanks!

karmariv82
Contributor III

Thank you Vincenza,

I'll take it consideration.

Kind Regards,

-- Karla

Version history
Revision #: