Adhoc Reporting

Adhoc reporting is one of the thing I personally liked most. It gives end users a flexibility of making reports of their own taste. A dashboard generally contains some predefined reports/information in the form of various objects. But it is quite possible that users may at one point of time think that if dashboard had that information, it would have been helpful.

Although data is already there in your Qlikview app to create that report or produce that information. However users can't see that, even if they are allowed to create objects in Qlikview application, sometimes it might not be very easy for them to do. And, this is exactly what  Adhoc report can do. It is very simple to use & implement yet very powerful.

To demonstrate this I have created a small app with small data set but it can be further modified and enhanced according to the requirements.

Let me show you how this Adhoc report looks like:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

So, as you see it looks pretty basic but it is quite useful though. There are 3 different parts or objects of this :

Dimension - It lets user to select the dimensions which he wants to use

Measures - Same as dimensions, it lets user to use the measurements he wants to have in the report.

Report - And, this section creates the report with the dimensions & measures selected by user.

All, the details about dimension, measures and the calculation are kept outside of Qlikview document (in spreadsheet). So, it is very easy to manage, you can very easily control which all dimension or measures you want to make available for the adhoc report (so, security of data is also ensured).

Just to give you an idea how it works, I have selected couple of items under dimensions and one measure-

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Now, when you go to the Report section , you see something like this-

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Yes, a report is created with exactly the same dimension and measures we selected.

Still want more . Let's use the Fast change option of Qlikview. With the fast change, you can change the Pivot Chart to Staight Chart to Bar Chart to Line Chart to Pie Chart and what not..?

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

I am adding the sample adhoc report for you to review and explore the functionality of it's different aspects that I spoke about.

Any Question/Suggestion, please feel free to reach out.