iFrame Integration Example

Have you ever wanted to display QlikView content in a thrid party application? I was recently asked for a simple way of doing this, and found myself quite surprised how simple it actually was.

The brief was to display a QlikView chart (or a couple of charts) in an iFrame within a thrid party application. I knew it was possible to make selections automatically within QlikView by passing the selections within the AJAX URL. The syntax for this is to add something like &select=LB05,Swimwear to the URL. This will select the value Swimwear from the list box identified by LB05. I figured that as long as the host application can dynamically substitute text into the URL used, then you could display a QlikView chart (or charts) specifc to the selections made in the host.

The next issue to resolve was how do I limit the content displayed in the host application to just one or two charts. Well, that was pretty easy. I already knew you could hide the tabrow in the QlikView document in the document properties. But to make it even 'cleaner' I needed to hide the AJAX toolbar as well. Of course I found the solution to that on community. (The answer is contained in the read me attached to this post).

The final issue to resolve was how do I display certain charts in certain places in the host application. Well, I found you cannot select a specific sheet via the URL. But by using a selection in a field to determine which sheet is displayed, I can easily get around that issue and pass the necessary field selection in the URL.

I then built a simple iFrame application to test that this all worked, and that application is attached. User credentials are passed dynamically from the browser to QlikView when the iFrame URL requests the QlikView content via AJAX. So there was absolutely no coding to be done to make this integration work. The only coding necessary would be at the host application end, to dynamically pass the relevant selections in the URL. Below is a screen shot of th resulting web page.

QVIFrame.jpg