Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling

Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling

It's frequently useful to upload an example of your application when asking a question on the forum or sharing a technique with other Developers. Two concerns you may have about uploading an example are file size and data privacy.

Reducing File Size

The size of your example can be reduced by using the QV File -> Reduce Data command.

1. Make some selections to reduce the number of possible values in the qvw.
  2. From the menu bar, select File->Reduce Data ->Keep Possible Values.
  3. Use File->Save As to save the reduced copy under a new name

If you use "Save", QV will still open the "Save As" dialog to help you remember not to overwrite the master copy.

Protecting Data Privacy

You can protect the privacy of sensitive information, such as account numbers, revenue or customer names by using the QV Scrambling feature. In the menu bar, select Settings->Document Properties->Scrambling.

Here you can select the field(s) to scramble and press the "Scramble" button to perform a random scrambling of the field . No one can determine it's original contents. Like values will scramble to the same value which maintains the value linkages.

Labels (1)
Comments
Not applicable
The best results will come from scrambling as few fields as necessary to protect sensitive information. You should probably scramble identifiers like customer names or customer IDs and product names. But, if you scramble dates or numeric fields you might find that the sheet objects don't make sense anymore. Try it with scrambling only one or two fields at first. Check the document and if it looks good then save a copy. Then, if it appears that some fields are still showing sensitive information, scramble those and examine the document again. You cannot unscramble the data so don't save the document with scrambled data that makes the sheet objects look bad.
Not applicable

This is a very useful feature.  However i just found it has a limitation.  The scrambling has to be reactivated after each reload.

Is there a way to keep the field scrambled after a reload?

rustyfishbones
Honored Contributor II

you could use HASH128(Customer) as Customer in the script if you want to reload and keep the field Scrambled

HASH160 and HASH256 also work

kamal_sanguri
Valued Contributor

Ah. I wasn't aware that we can reduce the data in qlikview to the selected data only (Point 2).. a learning for me.

beck110979
Valued Contributor III

Thanks for sharing

fkeuroglian
Honored Contributor

Thanks for share, useful

joris_lansdaal
Contributor

I never realized that reduction and scrambling is this easy. Thanks!

gferran
New Contributor III

Very useful for customer demonstrations using real data.

pipuindia99
Contributor II

nice doc

ahaahaaha
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the useful information

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎04-29-2009 09:00 AM
Updated by: